Reading Habits

Doing this after reading SusannaG's blog post.  Great to see her back posting on this site!

1. Do you have a certain place in your home for reading?

I read all over the place, but usually in the recliner in my living room.

2. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?

I have been given many bookmarks made by my 8 year old.  The one I use the most - my personal favorite - was a valentine's day card/bookmark she gave me three years ago.

3. Can you just stop reading, or do you have to stop after a chapter or a certain number of pages?

I try to stop at the end of chapters, but that is difficult - especially when I am reading big history books.  When I can't stop at a chapter break, I just make sure to stop at the top of the lefthand page.

4. Do you eat or drink while reading?

I don't read when I eat, but I always have a drink with me.  Usually I just have some water, but on a relaxing afternoon when all of the kids' sports are finished and I don't have to go out at night, a glass of wine and a thick book bring me to my happy place.

5. Do you multitask while reading?

I can't do this.  I actually just bought noise reducing headphones to keep out the background noise of a busy house when I really need to focus on my reading.

6. One book at a time, or several?

I try very hard to only be reading one fiction and one non-fiction book at a time.  I never read more than one novel at a time nowadays, but find myself reading several history books at once when something catches my interest.

7.  Where do you read, at home or everywhere?

I read mostly at home, but also sneak in some reading at lunch time at work, while waiting around for kids' sports games to start, or anywhere I am bored.

8.  Do you read out loud, or silently in your head?

I always read silently in my head.  When I read out loud, I find I am focusing on pronunciation and articulation and not understanding of what I am reading.

9. Do you read ahead or skip pages?

I never skip pages or read ahead.  That is against the law in my world!

10. Do you break the spine?

Again - I treat books almost as if they are sacred.  My goal is to have a book look like it is brand new by the time I have finished reading it.

11. Do you write in your books?

Read my answer for #10.  However, I do often jot own page numbers to come back to and type up notes or passages to save for later use.