Review of Washington's Revolution by Robert Middlekauff

Washington's Revolution: The Making of America's First Leader - Robert Middlekauff

A deeper look at George Washington and his leadership and vision from his early years through the end of the Revolutionary War.  This was an academic look at how Washington was able to always view the big picture throughout his life and while was not perfect, he was able to keep above the immediate issues of the day to outlast and outperform everyone else.  There were parts of this book that were a bit dry, but overall I enjoyed the read and developed more of an appreciation for Washington.  Oddly, I loved the chapter early in the book that looked at Washington's years as a planter after his experiences in the French and Indian War but before the issues with Britain.  The challenges of trying to run the plantation and make money through the economic system of using British agents was fascinating and not an area I had read much about.  I would recommend this book only for those that already have a solid background in the life of Washington.