The System of the World (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3)

The System of the World (The Baroque Cycle, #3) - Neal Stephenson Well that last book of the trilogy seemed to take quite a long time, but it was a satisfying ending to the Baroque Cycle. I am actually sad to be finished reading about these characters and will be picking up Cryptonomicon at some point to see how their ancestors fare in the mind of Setphenson.

This book was a large discourse on the creation of the money system focused in England. It was actually fascinating from an economic point of view. I also love throughout all of the books how Stephenson throws in tidbits about word origins.

My only complaint about this particular book is that I was hoping that more of the story would focus on Jack Shaftoe. The plot focused around his exploits, but most of it was not told from his point of view. As a whole, I enjoyed the second book the most as they travel the world, and I liked the cast of characters best that were on the Minerva throughout the second book.

Outstanding series of books. It is hard to say who I would recommend this too because it is written in such a unique way. There are some long stretches where the action doesn't move at all, but from a historical inquiry point of view, I found these conversation fascinating. Great stuff and a trilogy I will read again in the future.