Rage

Rage - Wilbur Smith I would rate this book a 3.5 out of 5. This is a classic Wilbur Smith book and I enjoyed it very much. I enjoyed it more than the 3 stars would indicate. The story always moves at a fast pace, the plot lines are always interesting and not always what you think, and he does a great job of making the reader feel like they are a part of South Africa and the culture. The part of this book that I had a really hard time with is Smith's portrayal of women. All of his books have sex scenes, but in this book, it seemed as if every female character was obsessed with sex. The conservative religious women, upper class and lower class women, even progressive women, could think of nothing but sex. I am not a prude or conservative at all, but the attitudes in the book that the menfolk simply dominate by being masculine and the women can barely contain themselves wore on me after a while. I don't remember it being quite like this in the previous books I read by Smith. There were always characters like this, but I remember female characters that had more dimensions to them.

With all of that said, I still really enjoyed the book.