Death in the Haymarket: A Story of Chicago, the First Labor Movement and the Bombing that Divided Gilded Age America

Death in the Haymarket: A Story of Chicago, the First Labor Movement and the Bombing That Divided Gilded Age America - James R. Green A decent book about the labor movement in Chicago in the 1870s and 1880s. The main story focuses on the famous Haymarket incident where dynamite (or was it?) was thrown into a crowd of policemen who were trying to break up what had been a peaceful crowd of demonstrators. The last 100 pages of the book that focus on the incident and resulting court case were the most interesting by far. I felt like the book could have been cut in half and told this story. The first half of the book traces the labor movement in the years leading up to the bombing. Some of this was interesting, but it seemed to be a whole history of rinse and repeat and it was tough reading after a while. I don't think it helped that labor history is probably what I am least interest in.

Overall I am glad I read the book because it is a period of history I know the least about. I would recommend the book to history lovers, but only if you enjoy this time period or labor history.