In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin - Erik Larson Well I went into this book really hoping to love it. It has great reviews and my father through I would really enjoy it. Now that I am finished, I have to say that is was pretty much just OK. The second half of the book was very interesting as the everything starts happening in Hitler's Germany, but the first half of the book really dragged for me. There were so many names and obscure people mentioned that really didn't have a whole lot to do with the overall story. Also, I am no entirely sure if the author felt that Ambassador Dodd was a good leader or not. He seemed to go back and forth on him, but not in a way that made him feel objective.

However, with all of that said, it was an interesting story. To see Hitler's Geramny from the eyes of the American family in Berlin was a unique way to study the history. I am glad I read the book, but wish that it had done a better job grabbing my attention.